2010 Curriculum Choices

I've been busy preparing for the coming school year. What program will work best for our family? Which curriculum fulfills my children's needs?

Last year, I went with a boxed curriculum. I had no idea where to start and I did not want to complicate things. I wanted to keep things simple so I just got what my ISP suggested.

This coming school year, I will be trying some new things. The history program I will be using with them is Connecting with History. I am really excited about it because it presents history from a Catholic viewpoint. I was initially planning to use the Story of the World by Susan Wise Bauer. Her approach just made sense to me. Her main idea is that history is the story of man. If one wants to learn about a person's story, you start from the beginning and move in a chronological order. Connecting with History has the same approach but with a distinctly Catholic voice. I'm really looking forward to this.

For Math, we will be trying A Beka and Saxon math programs. I'm looking into the NOEO science programs. Have not really fully decided on that yet.

I've bought some books already but I'm waiting to buy the others. I'm looking into enrolling the kids in the homeschool program of a charter school nearby. Several families I've spoken with have had good experience with this charter school. I'm still not sure what the process in procuring books is. I don't know if I should go ahead and buy books already and have a receipt printer ready to show to the school.

I'm really looking forward to this new school year. I cannot believe that the summer is almost over!! WOW! This will be a challenging year but I have a feeling that it will be a fulfilling one too.

0 comments: