Drowning in Books

Our parish school was getting rid of their reading textbook series. They had offered them to other schools nearby but no one wanted 10-year old books. They were still in good condition though. They thought of me since they knew I was homeschooling. I accepted and was very grateful. I wrote to our homeschool group and offered it to other families. Several families responded. There's a homeschooling conference at the end of the month that will have a used curriculum/books fair. I thought it would be a good idea to bring some over there and give them away. So, I had the brilliant idea of asking the school to give me everything they've got.
Here's what I thought:
1. It would only be 1 book per set.
2. There would be about 30 sets per grade.
3. They were giving me books for grades 1 -5.
I knew I was going to get a lot of books but nothing prepared me for what I was going to find once I arrived at the school!
1. In grade 1, there were 5 books per set!!! The rest of the grades had 2 books per set.
2. There were more or less 40 sets per grade.
3. They were giving me books for grades 1 - 6.
I was seriously in over my head. When I got to the school, they had these books waiting for me ready to be loaded to my vehicle. This picture that I took were the first half of the books. The upper grades were still using their books so I had to come back at the end of the school day to pick those up.
For a moment, I was almost in a panic. What was I gonna do with all these books?! There was no way I could give away all these at the conference. And where oh where was I going to store all these? I do not have storage space in my house!
Then my mom had a lightbulb moment.
Why not send this to Auntie A's school in Bulacan, Philippines?
OMG! That was the answer!!
That same afternoon, I bought a couple of jumbo cargo boxes, cleared away the little patio furniture we had and set the boxes by our patio and loaded the books into them. As it turns out, we are going to need 1 more box. But I am soo glad and relieved that we found a home for these books. They are in really good condition. It would be so sad if they were just going to be thrown away.

1 comments:

Donna | Monday, June 14, 2010 9:10:00 AM

if your blog had a like button i'd like this =). nice!!