A Trip to the ER

Of all the times it could have happened, it had to be on the one night of the week when I was all alone with the kids!

Everyone was getting ready for bed. The kids were brushing their teeth. I was cleaning up the dinner table and kitchen.

"Mommy!!!!!! {sister} is bleeding!!! She has blood all over. Hurry. Emergency!!!" DD1 screamed hysterically from the stairs.

I hurriedly ran up and saw DD2's right eyebrow bleeding.

"What happened?!"
"Ate hit me with the door!" DD2 answered as she wailed and cried.
I put an ice pack on her while I tried to figure out exactly what happened. DD1 finally confessed that after she had brushed her teeth and while DD2 was still in the bathroom brushing her teeth, she turned the lights off and closed the door. DD2 started crying. When DD1 opened the door, she did not realize that DD2 was behind the bathroom door and so the door's edge hit her. DD1 felt so bad and apologized in tears to her sister.

I was hoping that it wasn't a big cut. I called DH who was at work(ortho fellowship) and sent him this picture of DD2. He looked at the wound and assessed that it would be best to take her to the ER. I did not want to have to drag the kids to the ER. Can you imagine what a scene we would be?! LOL! Thank goodness for friends. I was able to drop off the other kids at a friend's house on the way to the hospital.

DH had called the ER (he works here but was not working there that night) and arranged for us to be seen immediately. Yeah, one of the perks of knowing the people who work there is that we do not have to wait for very long. When we got to the ER, the nurse checked us right in. Dr. Jung saw us immediately and was very nice.

It turned out that there wasn't a cut. It was a deep scratch that gouged out the skin. There was nothing to stitch back on so he put dermabond over it. For the first 14 days, it cannot be exposed to the sun. And for the next 6 months, we need to put SPF 15 or higher sunscreen on it and Vitamin E oil supplements. He said that it would still most likely produce a white scar. It is right on her eyebrow so I'm hoping it would not be too obvious.

DD2 was very brave the entire time. When her siblings were still with us in the car, she was laughing and smiling along. After we had dropped them off and it was just the two of us, she said with a small, quivering voice, "Mommy, can you pray for me when I get to the hospital?"

"Of course. Are you scared? You want us to pray right now."
"Yes, mommy."

So I prayed over her and then asked her if there was anything she wanted to say.

"Dear Jesus, please help me not be so scared. Amen."

Hearing her little prayer brought tears to my eyes and I wanted to pull over and hug her right there and then.

I assured her that I was going to be by her side the whole time and that Jesus was watching over her.

As we were leaving the ER, I asked her how she was doing and reminded her of my promise: that I was going not going to leave her alone. As she held my hand, she looked up to me and smiled and said, "I think God blessed me today, Mommy."

Sigh...yes, sweetie, God blessed you today.

0 comments: