Sad sad sound

DH's uncle was laid to rest on Monday. He was a Navy vet so he was accorded full military honors. Pretty cool to witness first hand the gun salute and the handing of the flag to the widow. Cool but emotional! What really struck me was the lone bugle playing the taps. I've seen it in movies. But I realized that hearing it coming from this box on tv stands does not come close to the effect it has hearing it played right in front of you. It is such a sad melody. It will probably be etched in my mind as one of the saddest sounds ever. The gloomy weather and light shower surely helped a lot in creating this somber mood. It seemed like all was quiet, everything was still except for this sound coming from the bugle. To me, it all signaled a goodbye. A finality. The reality of the loss is suddenly felt.

0 comments: