Happy 4th of July!!

Happy 4th of July to all my American friends!

This is one of the bigger holidays here in the US. It's usually celebrated with backyard BBQ's and some fireworks display. In past celebrations, when my older ones were quite young, we did not celebrate this so much. DH would usually have work. (The medical field cannot close for the holidays. hehe.) When he got off work, it was usually just in time to trek to the nearby fireworks display in the neighboring city. Our city's fireworks display is held at the local high school's football field and you pay to be able to get in. They also block off all the available parking areas in the vicinity lest you just prop your chairs there and watch the display for free. I am so not paying for that!

In recent years, however, we've gone to DH's cousin for their annual bbq.  - Fotopages.comThey buy some fireworks and sparklers for the kids which they light up in the front yard. It's become something the kids look forward to. In fact, DS asked a week ago if we were going to Auntie J's for the 4th. Fortunately, DH only works till 3 pm today. We pick him up from work later then go straight to North Hills for swimming, dinner and fireworks. The kids are all excited now and I'm using it for leverage to get them to keep their rooms clean. Hehehe.

Since it was sort of a last minute decision to go over there, I braved the shopping crowds yesterday to make last minute shopping runs for food to bring later. I usually get my stuff done ahead of time because I don't want to run into a mass of people shopping like me. This year however, I was not as prepared as I should've been. Anyway, DD1 tagged along. We hit 3 stores - Target, Costco then Vons. By the time we were on our way to Vons, she was all ready to go home and started to get whiny. I did not get really upset with her because it had become a longer trip than usual. If I were a kid, I probably would've whined myself. As a treat & reward for putting up with the long errand, I got her a Mango-a-go-go from Jamba Juice with the free immune system boosters. This quickly put a smile back on her pretty little face. She absolutely loves these smoothies.

Anyway, today will be a busy day as I need to get the food we're bringing prepared. I'm making a cold oriental pasta dish and baked garlic shrimp. The chocolate cake and watermelon are all ready for transport. :) I'm looking forward to getting some beautiful shots tonight. More importantly, I'm looking forward to having a great time with family.

Happy 4th!!!

1 comments:

Mia Castrillo | Sunday, July 05, 2009 11:41:00 AM

Happy 4th of July! Enjoy the time with the family! :D