How are you being affected by the economic crisis?

I heard this from my dad...

Q: What is the difference between recession and depression?
A: Recession is when everyone is losing their jobs. Depression is when you lose your job.

LOL!

But seriously, the US economy is in disarray and it's really affecting the world economy, isn't it? I haven't been following closely economic news but it isn't hard to overlook the reality that hard times are coming, if it hasn't come yet. Everywhere I look, news agencies can only report bad news about the economy. And it would be so easy to get caught up in the anxiety and uncertainty of these economic times.

DH mentioned to me last week that his 401K portfolio lost about 20K because he had them in stocks. It may not seem much in light of all the huge losses being suffered by a lot of people but for regular folks like us, that is huge!!! I was teasing him, I wonder how many Disney vacations that could have gotten us?

Seriously though, like I said, it could be so easy to get caught up and worry and be anxious during these times. But it is precisely during these times that we as Christians can be bright lights in a dark world. It is during these times that God calls us to be even more faithful in our walk with Him. His call to us remains the same - be faithful to our responsibilites, be generous to God and our brothers & sisters, and remain totally dependent on our God who takes care of all our needs.

" ... I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty ... I can do all this through Him who gives me strength. and my God will meet all your needs according tot he riches of his glory in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:11-13, 19)

0 comments: