Happy Birthday DD1!

DD1 celebrated her 5th birthday yesterday. She brought Oreos and yogurt to share with her classmates during class. I stayed and spent time with her class after snacks until dismissal time. I think she really felt special having me there with her. I could tell she was really happy. But I could tell how real shy she is too!

Since it was her bday, her teacher asked her to come up front so the class could sing to her. She came up but her chin seemed stuck to her chest! LOL! and you could hardly hear her voice as she called out her classmates' names so they could get to their seat for snack time.

I was also able to chat a bit with her teacher as the kids played in the sand yard. And she assured me that I'd be really happy with the decision to keep DD1 for one more year in Pre-K. It was just what I needed to hear, y'know.

I had started to second-guess our decision to keep her for one more year in Pre-K instead of pushing her to enter Kindergarten this fall. We had to make a decision last February as that was when they were finalizing the Kinder class list at St. Joe's. It wasn't that she wasn't academically ready for Kindergarten. She just did not seem mature enough. Her teacher had voiced out her concern that she was really so shy and quiet that she feared that she'd get lost in the bigger class of Kindergarten. I had really pondered and prayed about the decision, weighed the pros and cons. Came to the conclusion that keeping her in Pre-K for one more year might be the best choice for her. Still, being the anxious mom that I am, I started to doubt when I saw that she was starting to be more vocal in class. In fact, her teacher had commented one day to me that DD1 was really starting to get her voice heard. I wondered out loud if we had made the right decision not to push her to Kindergarten. She laughed and said, "But can you imagine how much more she'd bloom in the next year she's staying here? And then she'd be sooo ready for Kindergarten by next year." I just had to smile.

Sometimes, it's just so hard when you have to do something different for your kids, y'know? I just lift it up to God that He would not allow us to make the wrong decision for our kids.

1 comments:

Tylertopia | Wednesday, April 09, 2008 8:16:00 PM

You sound like me right now. We just made that same decision for our son. He is not at all shy...but needs another year to mature a bit more (like sit quiet during stories and that sort of thing). He'll be 5 in July. I think it'll end up being a WONDERFUL decision...just think how much better our kiddos will have it later on. I am actually pretty thankful there is such a thing as PreK. Just makes sense since all children mature and learn at different levels...and not only by age. :o)