Anyway

My mom gave me this book, "Anyway" by Kent Keith. He wrote the paradoxical commandments which I've received in emails several times over. It seems really interesting. I've only skimmed thru it. Has anyone else read this book? What did you think?

Here's an excerpt found at the book jacket:

"The Paradoxical Commandments do not focus on popular symbols of success like wealth, power, and fame. Instead, they focus on meaning - the meaning you can get from loving others, doing good, being honest, thinking big, fighting for underdogs, building, helping others, and giving the world the best you've got. Each action you take can be enough, in and of itself, whether anything else follows from it. When you live the Paradoxical Commandments, each action you take will be complete, because each action will bring its own meaning...When you live the paradoxical life, you will find personal meaning in a crazy world. You will make a difference. You will change lives. One of the lives you change will be your own."

This makes sense to me. And I think it's harder to do, though. To find the meaning in the present...to live in the present moment...it requires more mental and emotional discipline, I think. But it is something that I'd like to do. It's something I've been trying to do since having kids, although I just did not have it written in such a way. I just knew I wanted to do things differently and find meaning in it, for the sake of my children.

0 comments: