Just on Vacation

We were having dinner conversation one night when the kids mentioned that Lolo and Lola just vacation here. "Why do you say that?" I asked. "They go back to their house ,in the Philippines every year so they're just on vacation here," DS and DD1 reasoned out.
I suppose one could see it that way, especially since my parents still refer to the house back in the Philippines as their house. To my kids, it seems that they have not factored in that their grandparents live with us about 10 months out of the year. It is true though that they've been going back to the Philippines for the Christmas season. I think that they will continue doing this until they are unable to travel anymore. It is actually amusing to see them perusing travel deals as early as summer to lock in their best airline deals. Last year, they were able to get a roundtrip ticket to the Philippines via Asiana airlines (I believe) for just $650. That was an awesome price!

As for us, my brothers have been trying to convince us to take a vacation in the Philippines. It has been 5 years since our last visit. It is about time but finances just will not allow us to go. Plane fare alone would cost us at least $5000! That is not a small amount for a one-income family of 7 like ours. Our goal right now too is to save up enough cash to pay for downpayment on a bigger house. As much as I would love to take my kids back to my homeland and have them experience the beauty of the Philippines, it is frankly not the priority.

Then again, God can always choose to surprise us just as he did 5 years ago when I won those 2 roundtrip tickets to the Philppines c/o the Goldilocks raffle. So you see, I continue to wait on the Lord and ask Him to bless us in any way he best sees fit.

0 comments: