Finding Him in Housework

There is so many things I want to do and even more that I NEED to do that I often feel overwhelmed. Where do I begin? Homeschooling has added another layer of busyness to my life. A frequent point of conflict between me and DH is my home's seeming permanent state of disarray. My body is screaming for exercise. My soul longs for solitude and communion with my God. My heart yearns for nurturing relationships with sisters in our community and for service. How can I fit all these into my life?

Something's gotta give, so they say. And I have let go of some non-essentials. I've considerably lessened my online activities. There are some days I am not online at all. The temptation to click here and there is just too much for me. And don't even get me started on the addiction of Facebook! LOL! I've also stepped away from the TV a lot. It's summer and most of the shows I follow are not on anyway. But I've surprised myself that I've stayed away from former must-see shows like Top Chef and SYTYCD.

While these 2 activities have freed up considerable amounts of time from my schedule, the day is still not enough. I try to start my day earlier in prayer. Many days, I don't get to finish my meditation. My prayer journal contains half-finished reflections. Reading through the pages seem more like reading blurbs and odd tidbits of thoughts and random musings. It is so not like journals I've maintained before. Then I read this quote:
"It is most laudable in a married woman to be devout, but she must never forget that she is a housewife; and sometimes she must leave God at the altar to find Him in her housekeeping." (St. Frances of Rome)

These were reassuring words, from a saint no less! She understood. She knew the struggle. I've been told before to lift up my daily chores to God as prayer. I thought it was some sort of cop-out, an excuse. I'm less harsh on myself now, learning to be more relaxed. As I fold laundry (which I hate to do), I pray, say the rosary or converse with Him instead of turning on the TV. Because I know I have less time for formal prayer and reflection, I try to make the most of Sunday mass and really connect with Jesus there as I make a physical connection with Him through His body and blood. I'm also learning to appreciate the tradition prayers I usually recite in rote. They come in handy during those trying moments of frustration and anger. I almost had a panic attack during the first night of the Scout camping and the only thing that was able to calm me down and prevent me from completely hyperventilating was praying the rosary.

There is still a lot I need to improve on. But I am glad that God is meeting me during my housework. It does make such unpleasant chores more bearable.

0 comments: