To Homeschool or Not

I've been mulling this decision for over a month now.

It came upon me abruptly. It felt like I was sideswept. DS goes to a Catholic school. DD1 just passed the Kindergarten screening. Everything seemed to be going according to "plan" or so I assumed. Yes, it costs a lot but I thought we could afford it. I assumed all our 4 children would be going to the same school.

We're not in dire financial straits right now. No debt consolidation needed. No creditors runnning after us. No immediate economic stress - yet. The economy is bad. Even while DH has stable employment and is in a relatively recession-proof industry, we cannot foresee the future. We need to be ready in case something happens. We need cushion to land on in case we fall.

This was the impetus that led me to research on homeschooling. I was honestly very emotional in the beginning. I was very comfortable with the life I was leading. This change would disrupt everything that was comfortable to me. I was afraid.

Then, in my prayers and during research, I started to feel a little tug in my heart. I was feeling drawn to homeschool my children. I started thinking that this could be a good thing for our family. I found a Catholic homeschooling group in our area. Aside from park days and adoration days, they also have a very strong co-op that meets every Thursday with 2 classes each day. I've gone with the girls to 2 park days already. I've met some of the moms. I feel comfortable. This could be where God wants us to be.

DH and I have not made a final decision yet. Personally, I feel at peace with what I want right now. I ask that you continue to pray for us. May we be united in out decision. May we choose what is best for our family.


Yen | Saturday, April 04, 2009 10:11:00 PM

Hi Joy! I'll pray for you and the whole family. And I like this sentences.
'We need cushion to land on in case we fall.'- Very true!

'May we choose what is best for our family.' -Amen!

Take care and hugs! :)

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller | Sunday, April 05, 2009 7:19:00 PM

I've done both Catholic school and homeschooling - this truly is a decision in which you and your husband have to go with however you feel God is leading you. You can always start out the year hs'ing and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to take you back if it doesn't work out!

karen | Sunday, April 05, 2009 7:56:00 PM

hi joy. i've been thinking about this too for my bea, however i think patience is not one of my strongest virtues so i have decided to just enroll her to a nearby school. =)

MommyBa | Friday, April 10, 2009 2:57:00 PM

Homeschooling Basti is a choice I'm always open to. It's cheaper and something that will bring us closer together. However, I need to work and I don't think it's feasible at this time.

I am praying that you will be able to choose what will be the best for your family. It's going to be one tough road to take but given your high sense of responsibility and your teaching experience, I'm sure everything will turn out fine for you.

You are one dedicated mother and your kids will truly be blessed to have a teacher in you. If you and Dex decide to homeschool the kids, then I'm pretty sure you'll be successful at it and He will lead you every step of the way.