In Other Words



"They gave our Master a crown of thorns. Why do we hope for a crown of roses?"
~ Martin Luther ~


I am afraid of pain. And I try to avoid pain as much as I can - whether it be physical, emotional, mental pain. I've always thought that pain was a signal that something was off in one's life. If we are not living in the way God wills for us, then there will be pain. So, I've always tried to live my life according to God's will so that I'd have as little pain in my life as possible.

But I realize now that there are two types of pain: the pain brought about by disobedience/sinfulness and the pain brought about by righteousness/holiness.

The first pain was the pain I want to avoid. Because of our sinfulness, we are bound to experience this type of pain in our lives. It's the pain of a strained relationship because both parties are selfish and neither wants to give in. It's the pain of broken promises. It's the pain of hurtful words. It's the pain of stubbornness and unwillingness to submit to the Lord's plans. It's the pain we often bring to ourselves because of our own weaknesses.

There is a second type of pain, however. It is the pain that comes from refusing to conform to this world. It is the pain of standing up for what is just and right when the whole world has says "Everyone else is doing it, why can't we?" It is the pain of defending the weak, the helpless against selfish giants. It is the pain of defending our faith against those who mock us. It is the pain within us as we struggle against our human earthly desires. It is this pain that I pray I will have to courage to bear and face.

I am still afraid of pain. I know that my tendency is to avoid all types of pain. But I know that the Lord has equipped me and given me the grace. And with God's grace, the pain of discipleship, this crown of thorns we choose to wear, it isn't as painful as it seems. What looks unbearable from the outside becomes bearable because of God's love. When armed with His grace, a grateful heart, a joyful spirit and eyes set on God's kingdom, the sting of the thorns is weakened.

"And so I pray...
Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings you glory.
And I know there'll be days
when this life brings me pain
but if that's what it takes to praise you
Jesus, bring the rain."
(Bring the Rain by MercyMe)

9 comments:

Miriam Pauline | Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:37:00 AM

Great post. The difference between pain because of sin and pain to refine us often gets blurred. The former is certainly something to try to avoid--but the refinement of God is precious in the end. Bless you for sharing.

Denise | Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:30:00 AM

Such a great post, bless you sweet one.

Diana | Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:20:00 AM

Thanks for sharing. Never thought about the two kinds of pain...but the heat of the refiners fire may be painful, but it purifies!

Anonymous | Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:27:00 AM

Nice post.
Thanks for your visit. God bless!

Anonymous | Tuesday, September 18, 2007 6:20:00 AM

Amen. There is a suffering we bring upon ourselves. "For it is better to suffer for doing good,if that should be God's will, than for doing evil"
Blessings on you today!

Anonymous | Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:35:00 AM

But I realize now that there are two types of pain: the pain brought about by disobedience/sinfulness and the pain brought about by righteousness/holiness.

OH SO TRUE!

Anonymous | Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:22:00 AM

thank you for this thoughtful post - your reflections are so true.

eph2810 | Tuesday, September 18, 2007 6:54:00 PM

Oh - how true, how true. There is pain from both sides. I try to avoid pain as much as I can, but sometimes my heart or a promise gets broken...

I so enjoy the song by Mercy Me - they play it often on the radio :)

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this week's IOW quote.

Be blessed today and always.

Becky | Wednesday, September 19, 2007 5:07:00 AM

Two kinds of pain...what a wonderful way to express that. You have blessed my day!