Relationships

As I was tidying up last night in the kitchen, annoyed at DH, I started to think about relationships, particularly about dealing with arguments, etc. I've read various "secrets" to happy and long-lasting marriages. One which often strikes me is that they say they never let the sun go down without making up after a fight. It is stuck in my head because we are not like that. There, I've said it. It takes us days sometimes to make up. It is frustrating for me because I like to talk about stuff immediately. But I've come to realize that DH needs time. And to nag him only aggravates the situation. It used to bother me that we did not abide by this "secret". I was worried that we might not have a very good relationship because we let days pass before resolving issues between us. but you know what? We are all different. We all have different relationship dynamics. I think that as long as the foundations of love and trust are there, anything can be worked out. You may find all kinds of relationship advice out there but not all will work for you. It isn't a one size fits all kind of thing. You'll need to know yourself, your partner and what works for you. Lest some of my readers think we're on shaky ground, no, we're fine. It's a little bump on the road that we all have in our marriages. He gets annoyed. I get annoyed.
There is a little rule that we agreed upon even while we were still dating. When we fight, we never hurl insults at each other nor do we make threats of breaking up. We fight and disagree with each other but the respect for each other and the commitment to the relationship is never shaken. I suppose that's what you might call our "secret".

2 comments:

Anonymous | Thursday, August 02, 2007 5:52:00 PM

frankly speaking...di rin ako naniniwala dun...OA nga sa akin yun eh. Lalo na when soebody gives it as an advice at the back of my head gusto kong mag comment ng.. SURE!! hahaha kami nga minsan umaabot pa ng weeks eh...hehehe...oh well..just stumbled upon your blog from a comment you left in my scrap artist gallery...
thanks ha =)

Joy | Friday, August 03, 2007 9:45:00 AM

Thanks for dropping by Gretch! LOL on your comment!