Baby Food

DD3 has started eating solids. Right now, I'm introducing green veggies to her diet. We did spinach last week. It's broccoli this week. So far, she's loving it. Once she sees her bowl, she starts "panting" and leans toward the food. LOL!
You may be surprised that I'm introducing green veggies. This has been the suggestion of our pediatricians here. They suggest introducing green veggies so that the babies will get used to the taste before introducing sweeter veggies and fruits. If fruits are introduced first, they may dislike the green veggies when given later.
So far, this theory seem to have worked with my kids. All my kids eat their veggies. There is of course, some bargaining now and then but overall, they're pretty good with veggies.
I hardly have any problem feeding my kids too. I think I've exposed them to a variety of foods so they eat almost anything. MIL was surprised to see that DD1 loved sushi during our lunch buffet at that chinese place.
Ever since they were kids, I've always given them table food. They have never had any of those baby food in jars. I've tried but they prefer those that are made at home. I suppose they can taste the freshness of the food I make compared to the ones in jars. Do I still have time to make baby food myself? Of course! It really is easy. I get fresh veggies, chop them up, steam them, puree them in my blender then pour them into ice cube trays and freeze them. I get one cube for each feeding time and microwave it for about 30 seconds. I add some rice cereal and water then mix and voila! Baby's food is ready in under a minute.
I introduce new food every week. Some veggies I will be introducing in the coming weeks: cauliflower, green peas, carrots, squash... Am I missing any? I don't do potato unless we're having that for dinner too. I've found that it doesn't freeze very well and it's harder to prepare. I can't use my blender for it. I'll have to sieve it or use a food mill (which I don't have).
My older kids get excited that their baby sister is learning to eat. DD3 is with us in the dining table during dinner time. I think this is very important because dinner time is not just about the actual eating, it's also a time for interaction among family members. And DD3 is learning that dinner time is a fun time.

0 comments: