Hero's run update


Here's SIL's training update for the marathon she's running in October to raise funds for the homeless in the Philippines. A special thank you goes out to Liz who not only donated but has also posted this cause in her blog, helping in her own way to spread the word about this cause. Thank you. Thank you. As you can see, even if you are unable to donate, you may help spread the word and post this cause in your blogs and the link to donate. I'd really appreciate it!

"Hello friends and family!

I write this e-mail with a bit of disappointment. You'll understand why as you read along...

As I told you, we had to run for 14 miles last Saturday for our training run. I felt good that morning; ate a good breakfast and had a good night's rest. The weather cooperated very well. It wasn't too hot and there was a slight breeze throughout the whole morning.

I came to our training venue and saw 2 of my pace group members. Hoooray! See, for the past few weekends now, I have been training alone in my pace group. My pace group members have not been able to join us for our weekend runs. Yes. I had to run the 9, 10 and 12 mile runs alone which was VERY challenging. So I was REALLY glad to see two of them show up last Saturday.

Out first few miles were fine. However, one of my pace group members, Monique, had to stop after just 4 miles because her right ankle started to hurt. Manuel (the other pace group member of mine) decided to stop as well since they rode to the venue together.

After saying goodbye to them, I had to psyche myself up on running the rest of the 10 miles alone. Before the run began, I decided to wear knee bands with the hopes that they would help alleviate with the discomfort I was feeling on my knees (especially the right one) which I mentioned in my previous e-mail.

I guess those things don't work for everyone...cause as I was running my 11th mile, my right knee just hurt BIG TIME! It hurt so bad that I could hardly bend my right knee. I had to limp my way from the 12th thru the 13th mile...

So yeah, for the first time in the years that I have been doing the GK runs, I didn't complete the full route of a training run. I did only 13 miles out of the 14 that was scheduled. I felt so bummed after. I knew, though, that pushing myself to do another mile would only be detrimental. We have 3 more months of training till the big day.

While I was limping my way to the end of the route, I, again, thought of how temporary my discomfort was. Even as I type this, my knee feels so much better (not fully well though). I dug deep in me and reminded myself of why I was doing this. "There is no time to focus on your ego, " I told myself. "Keep your eyes on the PURPOSE of all of this: giving part of yourself to help others."

Please continue to pray for me, the rest of the runners, and of course those people who need the funds we are rasing, who, every single day, are suffering from the effects of poverty."

You may donate (tax-deductible) using the ff methods:

1) Use the link in this email to donate online quickly & securely. You will receive email confirmation of your donation and I will be notified as soon as you make your donation: Active giving

0 comments: