Mommy of the house

We just had houseguests over the last couple of days. My aunt (mom's sister), uncle and cousin were here for a visit from the Philippines. They've been here in California for almost a month now but they've been staying at my uncle's cousin's place which is about a 45-min. drive from our place. I invited them to stay with us for a couple of days and they did.
It was fun having them over. We had a lot of stories to tell - catching up on each other's lives. My kids had blast playing with them too. They finally, for a brief time, had some people pay undivided attention to them! Hahaha...
As with any of our family gatherings, food is an essential item. We're always eating!
And as I was preparing breakfast on Tuesday morning, it struck me... I've become my mom! I was the last one to go to bed the night before, making sure everything was in order. And I was the first one up the next morning, preparing for the day. Yup, the mommy of the house is me!
This was not unusual, really. But I guess it was one of those moments for me when I realize that I really am the grown up now... I am the mom. Have you had those moments?
Iremember the first time I had a moment. My husband's family had a reunion up at Big Bear. We rented 2 cottages. They were huge. My eldest son was just 6 months then. On the first night, everyone was staying up late. I think they had a bonfire, etc. And where was I? I was back in our room, with my son, nursing him to sleep. And there I stayed the whole night. That evening, motherhood hit me. I would have wanted to be where the "action" was. I would have wanted to stay out all night. But responsibilities called. I cannot just do what I want.
Now, it's gotten so much to be a part of me, I usually do not think about it. But last Tuesday, I became clearly aware of my being a mom. And I just had to smile and tell myself, "Yup, you're the mom now!"

0 comments: