The Power of The Word

Language, whether spoken or written, is a powerful thing. A simple word can uplift or bring down someone. What you say or write to someone can affect that person, particularly if you are someone that person loves and respects. It is therefore, very important that you are careful with what you say. Sometimes, it might be even more prudent to not say anything at all.

I have been feeling particularly down with something someone had said to me. This person is very near and dear to my heart so when this person said that s/he believed that I could not do this good thing I want to do, it was like a dagger to my heart. I was offended and hurt. After calming myself down for a few days, I brought up the statement with this person. This person matter-of-factly defended the statement. Basically, what I heard was "I don't believe in you."

Now, everyone else I had spoken to about the thing that I want to do believed I could do it. They were even enthusiastic and excited for me. Each and every one of them were supportive. Why then is this one statement affecting me so much? In my head, I've been trying to understand where this person is coming from. I've been telling myself that what this person said should not negate the several affirmations I've received. Yet, my heart is broken. It is hurt so much that negativity has seeped into it. I'm trying to fight the negativity but the fragile heart can only hold up for so long...

and God sees me and embraces me ...

Here's what I read yesterday from the daily meditation guide, The Word Among Us...
"When you hear voices like these tearing you down, remember who you are: a child of God, who always looks at you with love, pride & affirmation. He will always stand with you. He will always speak words of encouragement to you." (italics are mine)

So, yes, spoken & written words are powerful but they have nothing against THE Word. I was moved to share this here on my blog in case you find yourself in a similar situation as I find myself in right now. Just a simple reminder that God loves you. Allow Him to embrace you.

0 comments: