Mini - Me

A lot of people have commented how DD1 looks so much like me - that she is such a mini-me.

I think she's waaayyy prettier. *smile*

Although I have to admit that she is proving to be a mini version of me. Aside from her features, I think she has the same personality as I do.

We are both cautious. When dealing with new people and new situations, we both prefer to step back and observe before jumping in. We seem to prefer to stay within the confines of what we know and are comfortable with than go into something that is totally new. When we absolutely *need* to try something new, we prefer to at least have something familiar to hang on to.

Last week, we were having a conversation in the car about DD1 going to Kindergarten. She was excited to go already but suddenly was saying she didn't want to go again. She was pointing out that she didn't know how to read yet, her teachers don't know her, she doesn't know her teachers, etc. etc. etc.
I stopped and asked her, "Are you nervous about going to Kindergarten?"
She says, "Yes, and I'm almost crying because of it." as she started to wipe her eyes.

My dear little daughter was so panicked by the unknown that she was in near tears. And I realized our discussion was not going to help her at this time. No amount of reasoning was going to take away the fears. She was getting too emotional.

If I weren't driving, I would have scooped her up in my arms and given her a nice big hug and assure her that everything was going to be fine.

So that's what I did when we got home. We sat down on the bed and cuddled. I assured her I was going to help her with everything she would need in Kindergarten. I hugged her tight and told her I loved her. I kissed her and reminded her of all the awesome things she could do already. I looked her in the eye and told her I believed in her and that she would do well in Kindergarten.

Then, with another big hug and an exchange of I love you's, she bounded off the bed and off to play with her sisters.

Yes, we are alike in many ways. Oftentimes, when I am uncertain and afraid, all I really need is a nice big hug, some quiet time for cuddling and the reassurance that someone believes in me and that someone loves me no matter what. Sometimes, I receive it from DH. Always, I receive it from God through prayer.

0 comments: