Importance of Staying Connected

Over the weekend, DH and I attended a 2-day conference at our church community on building a transgenerational community. Sounds technical? LOL! It's really just about the importance of raising your family to become part of your church community. The speakers spoke of the importance of staying connected. We were made to be part of a community. We were not meant to live this life isolated and alone. When God made the world, he saw that it was good. The one thing He saw that was NOT good was that man was alone so he made a suitable partner for him. It does not mean that everyone has to be married or something. It just lays the truth that man was not created to be alone.

I really learned a lot from the conference and made me think about how we're raising our own kids. There is still so much that we can improve on. There is a whole lot of room for improvement. And I was reminded of my own values and convictions. I do want to raise my children in our way of life. I want my children to stand up for God. I want my children to be radical disciples of God. The work has to start now.

Just the thought of all that needs to be done and taught can be daunting. As parents, we can be overwhelmed. The thing is, we are not solely raising our kids. In fact, we are mere instruments. If we see ourselves as instruments in God's loving hands, then some pressure is lifted. It is God who will be working. We only need to allow God to work in our lives and in the lives of our children.

As I was reflecting over the weekend, I wondered if my parents' upcoming move here might be part of God's plan in equipping my children. My parents will definitely be a HUGE help with us for practical matters - free babysitting, etc. But more than that, I think my children will benefit a lot and learn so much from their grandparents. What an opportunity for them to see for themselves how God blesses those who are faithful to Him - all through their old age.

My parents are living testaments to how God rewards those who give their lives to His service. They gave up lucrative careers to serve God. I can only imagine how difficult it must have really been to raise a family with limited income. Yet God never abandoned our family. Sure, no luxury vacations or branded stuff. We lived simply. But God's rewards are greater. All 4 of us kids now lead pretty good lives. We're quite comfortable in fact. We have very good relationships with one another. More importantly, we all desire to do God's will in our lives. And that relationship with God is priceless - more precious than anything this world can give. And that is what I want to give to my children too.

2 comments:

Tylertopia | Tuesday, April 01, 2008 10:42:00 AM

That's awesome! I, too, believe that it is important to be connected...to God, church and family. Sounds like you had a great conference and it will be so wonderful to have your parents with you and your kiddos every day. :o)

DigiscrapMom | Wednesday, April 02, 2008 8:58:00 PM

My family isn't really that "connected" that's why hopefully, I will be able to achieve this in my own family.

As always, thank you for the inspiration.